|This page: | Nadi Community | Sector's House Community, Suva | Wairiki Community, Taveuni Is | Levuka Parish Community, Ovalau | St John's College Community, Cawaci, Ovalau | Brief History of the Sector ||
Sector Delegate: Fr Frederick Kado sm
50 Varani Street
GPO Box 2031
Tel: (679) 7589818
MARIST COMMUNITIES IN THE FIJI SECTOR
Currently (2021) there are 5 Communities in the Fiji Sector: Nadi Parish community; Sector's House Community, Suva; Wairiki Parish community, Taveuni Island; Levuka Parish community, Ovalau Island; and St John's College Community, Cawaci, Ovalau Island.
|Fr Dennis Levi sm (Parish Administrator)||Fr Lewis Henry sm (assistant)|
|Fr Kevin McGuire sm (superior)||Fr Jim Ross sm||Fr Roger McCarrick sm||Bro Mika Ciri sm|
|Fr Fred Kado sm (Sector Delegate)||Fr John Crispin sm||Fr Raymond Raupepe sm||Fr Tito Muavesi sm|
|Fr Emeliano Lasaqa sm||Fr Valu Siua sm||Seminarian Zulu Serop|
WAIRIKI PARISH COMMUNITY - TAVEUNI IS.
|Fr Milio Vakasirovoka sm||Fr Mikaele Marisi sm||Bro Makario Ulavucu sm|
LEVUKA PARISH COMMUNITY - OVALAU IS.
|Fr Fabiano Naduva sm||Fr Fa Vakata sm||Bro Benedito Gonetabu sm|
ST JOHN'S COLLEGE, CAWACI - OVALAU IS
|Fr Iowane Waqairapoa sm||Bro Elia Sawesawe sm||Seminarian Joe Tora sm|
The Marists first arrived in Fiji in 1844, when Frs. Béhéret and Roulleaux and Br. Annet Pérol arrived at Lakeba in the Lau group. Br. Annet died in 1848, the first Marist to be buried in Fiji.
The mission struggled for many years and did not thrive until it was moved to Levuka in the Lomaiviti group in 1855. Early important mission stations were established in Rewa, Kadavu, Solevu and Wairiki.
Eventually the Marists, together with brothers, sisters and catechists, went on to establish over 20 missions throughout Fiji and Rotuma. St. John’s College at Cawaci, Corpus Christi Teachers Training College continue to be important in the life of the local church.
The Leprosy Hospital on Makogai, run by the SMSM sisters was also an important face of the mission in Fiji. Marist priests worked as chaplains there, three of them dying of leprosy themselves.
The period of missionary activity left the Church in Fiji with strongly established presence and institutions. Fiji became an Apostolic vicariate in 1887 under the leadership of Bishop Julien Vidal, SM.
Finally, in 1966, Fiji became a full Archdiocese. The necrology of Oceania Marist Province shows that more than 120 Marist missionaries, now deceased, worked in the Fiji Region.